NextCourse Assistant Coordinator SLA Position – Job Description
Drake University’s Office of Community Engaged Learning is looking to hire a student Service Learning Ambassador for Spring 2017 to support the Food Recovery program at Drake and enhance learning opportunities about food waste and food security across campus and in the community.
This position is an excellent, rewarding opportunity for anyone who is passionate about food systems, the Des Moines community, food justice, food waste, food insecurity, law and policy, poverty, service-learning and/or the environment. The Service Learning Ambassador would work closely with Next Course – Food Recovery Network, a campus organization responsible for the recovery of all surplus food from Drake’s dining halls and transporting it to local partner agencies. This individual will work alongside 6 additional SLAs who will be serving various community partner agencies to connect Drake students with service-learning and community service opportunities. Pay is $8.25 an hour.
For more information on NextCourse, visit:
If interested in applying, please send a cover letter of 500 words or less stating your interest in the position and resume to Amanda Martin at Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org by November 28, 2016.
Each applicant must list on their resume one reference, either a faculty, staff, or community partner who can speak to your organization/management, teamwork and professional skills.
• Willing to speak with faculty and classes about food security and assist with service-learning opportunities
• Personal responsibility and ability to enforce food safety as first priority
• Self-motivated and adaptable
• Excellent communication skills
• Willing to work with many community partners and Des Moines’s underprivileged and homeless population
• Current first-year, sophomore, or junior standing. Any major.
• Participation in food recovery program prior to application
• Some knowledge of food law and policy (or a willingness to learn)
• Previous service opportunities and/or community engagement work
• It is helpful, but not required to have a car for this position
• Work closely with NextCourse SLA to coordinate food pick ups and drop offs with Sodexo and five recipient partner agencies
• Train and manage the student volunteer network for completion of all food recoveries
• Identify courses that could partner with NextCourse on service-learning opportunities and work with faculty and classes on those opportunities
• Lead reflection activities with students participating in service-learning experiences
• Present information to classes, student organizations, and others on food waste and food recovery
• Coordinate with other universities, corporations, and organizations to develop more food recovery programs in Des Moines
• Work 4-7 hours per week, including 2 professional office hours a week in the Office of Community Engaged Learning (hours will be scheduled between 8 AM-4:30 PM M-F)
• Attend bi-weekly SLA staff meetings, date and time to be determined
• Participate in professional development with the Office of Community Engaged Learning
• Support other Service Learning Ambassador’s events and initiatives, as well as the Office of Community Engaged Learning